Whether you use propane, heating oil or both, this information can help you make smart decisions — and stay safe and comfortable too!
Some do-it-yourselfers think it’s OK to tinker with their heating equipment, whether it’s a water heater, a furnace, a stove or a dryer. It’s not! This is a job that should always be left to the professionals.
That’s why we invest a great deal of time and money on training our technicians — to be sure that they are prepared to diagnose and fix virtually any type of heating system in your home.
So if your heating equipment needs a repair, the only tool you should pick up is the phone. A certified, highly trained and friendly technician will come to your home, size up the situation and get your system safely repaired.
NOTE: If you plan to add more propane appliances to your home, please call us so our experts can ensure that your new equipment is installed properly.
Use this guide to help you decide whether it’s best to repair your system or purchase a new one.
|Age of System||Less than 15 years|
More than 15 years
|Cost and Frequency of Repairs|
Less than 50% cost of new unit
50% more than cost of new unit
|Efficiency of Unit|
More than 80% AFUE
Less than 80% AFUE
Note: AFUE stands for annual fuel utilization efficiency.
After only the quickest glance at the on-off knobs on your stove (to see if they’re the source of the problem), open some windows and leave the house. Do not smoke or use lights, appliances, telephones or cell phones. Go to a safe location where you can report the problem to us. You should also call 911 to report the leak.
This indicates a need for service because an oil heating system that has been properly maintained should never emit an oil smell. In many cases, a technician can solve this problem by adjusting the oil burner.
One of the most serious problems you can encounter is a buildup of carbon monoxide (CO) in your home. Because this is an invisible gas that cannot be smelled, it’s what you feel more than anything else that can alert you to a problem. CO poisoning symptoms include fatigue, dizziness and nausea.
That’s why it’s so important to get your system checked and serviced on a regular basis. You should also have carbon monoxide detectors in your home — especially in your bedrooms. If the detector sounds an alarm, ventilate the home with fresh air right away. If you feel dizzy or drowsy, leave the house immediately.
Unlike older heating equipment, which vents combustion gases through the chimney, newer high-efficiency systems are typically directly vented through a side wall. Since the venting is near the ground, it could get blocked by debris.
If you have a system like this, walk around your home and check these vents regularly, especially after a storm. If vent pipes are blocked, take a broom and gently clear away any obstacles. An obstructed vent can lead to carbon monoxide buildup. It can also cause your heating system to shut down.